Standing up for our ideas

Scott - Orchard Park, New York

When people think of America, they think of freedom. They think of how a person can work there way up from a lower place in society, and become someone better. In America, a person can always improve themselves through education. This is the typical American dream, but the most popular idea of America was the idea that you ran the government. We were in control. This was true, but it is not anymore.

In other countries, one of their primary problems with American people is our laziness in dealing with our government. In the 2004 election, only 60% of our country voted. This number has been steadily declining.

If you turn on the news or go to a news website, you will see people protesting against a law or action their government made and that they didn’t like. The act of protesting used to be done on a regular basis in this country. The Boston Tea Party, The Stamp Act, and more recently the Vietnam War were all acts of protest against something our people didn’t like. Granted, there have been a few against the war in Iraq or abortion, but not many people attend, it gets no media coverage, and it’s not advertised beforehand.

If you turn on the news you will also see people in this country talking about certain problems we have, and what we can do to fix them. Some of the problems are taxes, the war, abortion, gay marriage, and how the government should be allowed to treat terrorist suspects. Now, it doesn’t matter where you stand on any of these issues, that’s not the point. The point is if all you do is talk, nothing will ever change. Taxes will stay high, we will stay in Iraq, and the Buffalo Bills will never go to a super bowl again. People need to act, to protest, petition, whatever. Just stand behind your ideas and tell the government what you think needs to be done, because remember, we run them. America is a great country and so are its people. We just need to take a leaf out of the hippie’s book and start some movement. This I believe.