Imagining Through Life

Zachary - Wichita, Kansas

If there is one thing that I believe in, it has to be the power of imagination. I remember from an early age believing in imagination, believing in the ideas I could make. From all the memories I can think of, all I ever played with as a child was my imagination. I was an only child for nearly seven years, desperate for a sibling, but I had one thing that helped me through, imagination. I remember playing games like hide and go seek by myself, and imagining I was playing it with other kids. Back then I always used to wonder why adults didn’t imagine things, why they didn’t play like I did. I wondered, I eventually stopped wondering and began reading, and found it to be a miracle. The very fact that books can play movies inside your head and that you could dream about them and change anything. It was, and still is amazing. But as I aged I read less and less, I just had less time. And it seems that the older I get the less I read, the less I imagine, and the more it scares me. It scares me because it means that I dream less, and that’s the last thing I want to do.

Dreaming is one of the few things that come free on the world, and it’s one of the best things in the world. Just the idea that no matter who I am, no matter how much money or food I have, I can dream of being anything. This is how I began to dream of being an author one day. Even after years of debating and wondering I learned that my dream was to write. But I know that if I let my imagination slip, then nothing will ever come of it. It takes imagination to make yourself into who you want to be, to grow up. I see so many people every day that don’t imagine, that don’t dream, and it scares me greatly. These people have lost their dreams, and without their dreams they have nowhere to go. This is the last reason I find that I have: I want them to imagine and dream. It’s this reason that I dream of being able to write books that will captivate others’ imagination, and help them dream. This is my future, and my hope: the very power to create anything you want, to be anything you want, to dream. Imagination is the very essence of being human. And it is the very center of being me. This I believe.