Individuality through an Accessory

Calena - Wichita, Kansas

The simplest way to put it is; I believe in socks. Now, this belief may seem silly, but in all reality it is very significant to me. This belief started when I was about 5 years old, and at the time I did not realize it was even that much of a part of me. Socks became a form of expression. A way to share my individuality with the world. And its inspiration came from my Mother.

Growing up with little more than the basics, my Mother tried to make life a little more cheerful with color and other creative spins on activities while still making ends meet. One way she did this was with my socks. They were always colored; I do not recall owning a single pair of white socks actually. I loved the colors and the patterns; they brought a joy to my life. Upon entering elementary school, my views on the colorful socks changed. All of the other girls wore no show white socks, how was I supposed to fit in? I went home to my mother and told her flat out; “I want white socks. I do not like the colored socks you buy for me. I want to be just like all the other girls.” I recall my Mother looking at me for a while in concentration. She attempted to explain to me that my colorful socks were just fine; there was no need to switch to white socks. She stated how she thought I liked the socks, and that was all that was important really. But I remained adamant in my views of the footwear. I attempted many methods of obtaining the white socks; bleaching, folding, borrowing, wearing no socks at all. Trying to make myself just like everyone else did not work out in the end. I found that I no longer wanted that. I discovered that my being different was awesome. As I grew older, the more wacky the color combination or design on the socks, the better. It allowed me to express my individuality. Some days, my sock choice can even reflect my mood. I currently have two large sock drawers, filled to the brim with different colors and designs. Socks have become more than just an accessory in my wardrobe. The eccentric patterns, the intricate stitching details allowed me to express me to the world, even if some days I was the only one who saw which socks I was wearing. But trust me, most days I will share with others what socks I am wearing.

The influence my Mother placed on the person I am becoming is captivating. The role she played and still plays in my life is amazing. Without her influence I would possibly a little less creative or imaginative. Socks bring a joy to my life, an outlet for my individuality and self-expression.