A Time of Peace

Graham - Concord, Massachusetts

At first it was difficult. I couldn’t quiet my mind. There was too much noise, and I don’t mean actual sound. My head was swimming with the convoluted thoughts of a growing thirteen year old boy. There was simply too much going on in my brain; too much to silence…at first. I concentrated –– repeating, “Ohmmmm….” At last I found the zone. I concentrated on the peace, and didn’t allow any nagging thoughts to interfere. It felt good. For the first time in a long time, I looked past all my stress –– I was in a state of complete relaxation. I could sit meditating for hours, enjoying the bliss of pure inner peace.

My English teacher taught the class to meditate. We had had a day where the whole class was too frazzled to be productive –– tests, papers, grades, sports. He led our class to the mats in the wrestling room. We each found a space to sit or lie down, and our teacher instructed us on the ancient art of meditation. “Clear your minds of all thoughts.” “Repeat the word ‘Ohm’ to yourself over and over.” He switched off the lights and I was brought to a quiet that I haven’t felt in a long time.

This entire year I have felt a constant nagging stress. I always have school work to do, and even when I’m done, I have a feeling that I could do more. I work my hardest, but still wonder if I could do it even better. There is always more to be done. And the thought of all that work ropes me down with anxiety. But my meditation let me throw off those ropes, and, for the first time in a long time, feel free.

The meditation cleared my mind of all troubles and the thoughts of work and stress. I was able to stand straight and not have the weight of school pressed down upon me. I felt like I was breathing cleaner air. The wonderful sense of complete peace lies in meditation.