Empowered Women

Dia - Trinity, Florida

To empower means to enable, to give power to, or to give authority to. To me, someone who’s empowered is strong, a leader, and an influential figure. As a young black female, I believe it’s imperative to become an empowered woman for many reasons. My mother always told me that going out in the real world; I have two strikes against me, being Black and being a female. Just as my mother, Maya Angelou stated a similar statement in her autobiography, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. She said, “The Black female is assaulted in her tender years by all those common forces of nature at the same time that she is caught in the tripartite crossfire of masculine prejudice, white illogical hate and Black lack of power.” She is truthfully right; therefore, it’s critical that I equip myself with the necessities of being empowered because the odds are against me.

Maya Angelou, Condoleezza Rice, Mae Jemison, and Oprah Winfrey, to name a few, have paved the way and are the epitome of empowered women. As a result, I see them as role models, and have learned to understand and appreciate commitment and staying focused, even through adversity. Through their legacy, I am empowered with boundless opportunities for success. Empowered women are successful women! Not just financially, but intellectually and socially. Now it’s my turn to carry the torch.

I believe it’s crucial for women to be empowered, especially young, Black females. As a young Black female, I take pride in myself, my heritage and what I stand for. I want to become a successful neurosurgeon, and I want to make it easier for other Black females behind me. However, this generation has lost focus. Instead of thinking about latest trends and boys, concentrate on seeking knowledge. Knowledge is powerful; when applied it allows for greater opportunities. Instead of going out to parties, go read a book. There’s always something that I can gain from reading that will enhance my desire to be empowered. Instead of living off of people, I’ll get a job and take care of myself. This will allow me to become a more responsible and independent young lady. More importantly, I’ll give back to those who are less fortunate because I’m not strong if I don’t help others. Practicing these principles will lead to my empowerment.

Being empowered will allow me to stand for something, and not fall for anything. I want to make a difference in my chosen career field, as well as in my community. I want to become famous, not because of my dance moves in a music video, but because of my intellect and my desire to help humankind through medicine. I want to be a role model for young Black females trying to pursue their dreams. I want to be able to say, ‘I made it!’ I want to become a strong, influential leader. I will be EMPOWERED!