Poverty in America?

Katie - Dayton, Ohio

I live in a small town in the North east Ohio. You could say that I live the shelter life with my average American family their part in society. My mother and father have always worked a full forty hour week if not more and we would some how have food always on the table. We me and my two sisters were raised in a catholic church and when the bread basket would go around we would all put a dollar in for the homeless, until we found that the money went to go to the church. Overall we were always giving part of our allowance but we never saw the poor people. My family and I went up to the flea markets in Cleveland for the day and we saw a dirty old man sleeping in a bush, and i asked my mom at the age of eight years old what did he do to have to sleep outside? My mom looked into my eight year old eyes and told me that he did not do anything that would punish a man that much. My dad gave me a five dollar bill and told me I could go give it to the homeless man. As eight years old I thought that five dollars would get that man off the street for the rest of his life, but we all know that five dollars does not get you very far in society. The homeless man humbly took the five dollars from me, and told me God bless you and your family. I looked at him and I asked him what his name was and he laughed and looked at my dad and said she is not very scared of people is she? My dad laughed and said no she just has a big heart. He said his name was Jim. I gave Jim a hug and I told him that God is always blessing my family, and I hope tonight you do not have to sleep in that bush. Now that I look back at that story that my mother and father love to tell people I know I want to do something with people. I still live the shelter life, but I volunteer as much as I can. That day I learned alot about society, and today I learn that there are so many other people in poverty and living in bushes. I wonder what society, or in a smaller outlook, I wonder what I can do to help more people get out of the bushes.