It Could Have Been Worse

Helaine - Brooklyn, New York

I’m a human being. Therefore, my life is nowhere near perfect. In fact, the past sixteen years have been one continuous roller coaster; there have been ups and downs, twists and sharp turns. There have been so many days where all I wonder is : “Why me?” But, somehow, I always manage to get over each hurdle that life puts in my path. And I always realize that things could have been worse.

Take fifth grade, for example. I woke up on the first day of Christmas vacation with a monstrous cough and a 104 degree fever. After a trip to the doctor, I wound up in the emergency room where they told me that I had pneumonia, but within two days I’d be out of the hospital. Two and a half weeks later, I walked out of the hospital doors. One month after that, I returned to school.

Why did this have to happen to me– and during my school vacation? Why was I the one for whom the doctors couldn’t find the right antibiotic?

But then, I had some time to think. Thank G-d they didn’t have to remove one of my lungs, or even a piece of it–an idea that was considered. Thank G-d that this happened during vacation– I would have missed so much more work than I already had.

Yeah, my little visit to the hospital left me with a cough that lasted for over three years. It was even the place where I found out I had scoliosis and would have to wear a back brace. (If they hadn’t told me so, I would have wound up needing surgery.) But when I really think about it, those are the two worst things I got out of being in the hospital–and it could have been a lot worse.

Incidents like my time in the hospital have made me realize that it is not worth it to dwell on the past or wish that things could have happened a different way. What’s done is done. I believe that the situation can always be worse.