Believe in Belief

Alexandra - orono, Minnesota

I believe in the power of confidence. Recently I finished reading the book The Secret, which outlines a philosophy that I can easily agree with. The book was all about how if we truly believe something will happen, that makes it bound to occur. While I do not believe that there is some hidden, magic, foolproof system of thinking that can guarantee anything and everything we desire, I do believe that having confidence and faith in everyday life is an invaluable tool.

Imagine the world from a closed-minded perspective. If we do not believe in the possibility of happiness, those things that might help us achieve ultimate satisfaction may pass by unnoticed by those who never expect them to come. However, if we are certain that we will achieve some specific goal, regardless of the nature of that goal, I believe that that, in turn, makes those things that might make that dream a reality all the more perceptible. If we have absolute faith in ourselves, if we know something will happen, that increases the chances of it actually happening.

We send so many different types of energy. Every minute of every day, we exude energy that matches what we are feeling. Have you ever noticed that when your day starts off bad, it usually follows that the rest of the day is bad, too? This is because as soon as we start exuding the “this is a bad day” energy, we create an atmosphere of “this is a bad day” around us, thus perpetuating the bad day. On the other hand, when we wake up and know our day will be excellent in every way, it’s harder to find anything wrong with your day. We are constantly sending out tiny signals, nonverbal signals, which dictate what types of events we may or may not encounter. Our feelings are much more powerful than many people realize, and it is our state of mind, rather than our actions, that has the greatest effect on our lives.

I am not saying that I believe in unfounded confidence. It is often detrimental to think of yourself as an untouchable being, and you set yourself up for failure if you approach this the wrong way. I do not believe big-headedness or overconfidence is a good thing, but rather that faith and optimism create opportunities that might otherwise be missed. Concentrate on the positive. Be optimistic and certain. Know that you deserve to achieve your dreams, and be willing to wait. Never get discouraged, because weakness of resolve leads to doubt which leads to failure. Don’t doubt yourself. Doubting yourself is the worst possible thing you can do. If you don’t believe in yourself, there is no reason for anyone else to.