The Power of Smiling

Kristin - Brooklyn, New York

I believe in the power that a smile can bring. I believe that smiling at a total stranger when I am walking down the street will bring him or her some sort of happiness. Living in a chaotic world where wars have been decalred, crime rates are on the rise, people are abused, innocent loved once are killed, and anything can happen in the blink of an eye, I believe that a simple smile can remind others that the world is still full of kind people, still full of hope. I believe that smiling at an elderly individual may bring some sort of comfort because the elderly often feel alone and neglected as they age. A simple smile may remind the elderly that despite their age, people still care, people still have respect. I live in a world where technology is enhancing at a rapid pace and I am trying my best to keep up with it. From our newest laptops, to the smallest i-pods, to the phones that can do everything, we spend more time with our heads bent, staring into our own little worlds, than perhaps trying to make somone else’s day a little brighter. I am a very down to earth person and I know the world does not revolve around me. I am aware of others around me and I am conscious of the fact that they may have had a bad day. For reasons such as this, I smile. Just like holding a door open for someone, or lowering the volume on my i-pod out of consideration for the tired looking man sitting next to me on the train, I smile. I believe that smiling is better than saying hello, for a smile is worth a thousand words. I believe that being as considerate as possible to others is something we truly need in this world. Sometimes the best part of smiling at a perfect stranger is their reaction. When they smile back, it brings me some sort of happiness and comfort. Their reaction is what reminds me that the world is indeed, still full of kind people, still full of hope.