I believe in God

Garrett - Calhoun, Georgia

I believe in God. Even further than that, I believe in Jesus as the Christ. Belief in Jesus doesn’t just come from faith, although faith plays a huge part in my belief, but my belief comes from many things I have seen, witnessed, and experienced. I have seen lives changed through placing faith in Christ Jesus. I have witnessed miracles in the name of Jesus. I have experienced a grace and peace from God that I have never found anywhere else. Therefore I believe in Jesus.

From a very young age, I have been raised in church. Despite the many things I have been exposed to, including outside criticisms of church dealings and inside disappointments of the church, I have seen genuine changes in many peoples lives. One in particular, a very close friend of mine, used to live a rather colorful life. Drugs, alcohol, sex, and anything else you can name. One day he put his faith in Jesus and became a child of God. A true child of God, as recorded in the Bible, is one who accepts the gift of salvation through Jesus Christ and dies to the world and then in turn lives for God. My friend lives a true transformed life. He is not perfect by any means, but his life has genuinely changed out of his faith in Jesus.

Many people in today’s time do not believe in miracles. I believe in miracles because I believe in Jesus, and vice versa. I have witnessed many miracles in my life. One of which is the story of my mother’s recovery from breast cancer. Only through God was she able to make it through that experience in her life. It will be eleven years this year of her being cancer free. Another miracle I have experienced is one of my own. A while back, I broke my hand during a game of football. When I landed on the ground after being tackled, someone stepped on my hand and it broke a bone near my wrist. Blood pooled up under my skin in seconds and I knew it was bad. Rather than heading to the hospital to get it set and wrapped, I prayed for healing. The next thing I know, the pain is gone and the bruise is gone. I have a scar on my hand, although the skin was never broken, to remind me that God healed my hand when it was broken. God is a God of miracles.

Apart from the many things I have seen and experienced, there is nothing like the peace and grace that is found in the salvation of Jesus Christ. Jesus didn’t come for the healthy, He came for the sick. The grace and peace that is received is hard to explain. It is a true personal relationship where God comforts me during times of trouble and broken-heartedness. Even at times when I have felt so far away from God spiritually, Jesus is always there to comfort me. Once I was going through a very difficult time and I felt like God had abandoned me. One day I was just walking across my yard and I exclaimed to God: “Where are you? Where have you been?” And I heard the distinct voice of God say in return: “I am right here. I’ve always been here.” I can’t explain that anymore than I already have, but I can tell you that I am not crazy. God comforts His people.

Many people do not believe in God for many different reasons. It doesn’t matter what happens to me in this life, I can never say that I do not believe. God has revealed Himself to me through His son Jesus, so I believe. I believe in Jesus as the Christ.