This I Believe: Music

lynne - wichita, Kansas

One may hear the strum of a guitar, the beat of a drum, or notes on a piano, and remember their childhood. Someone else may remember the best day of their life, and lovers may remember their first dance. The strum of a guitar or the beat of a drum is more than just noise, its music, and I believe in the power of music. As much as I would like to, I don’t take guitar lessons, or violin lessons, or voice lessons, regardless, it is one of the most important things in my life.

Even if one does not know how to play an instrument, music can still bring forth many memories once thought to be long gone. My life runs on a schedule: work on the weekends, school until three p.m., and homework or social activities with the rest of the evening, and maybe time for food somewhere in between. With busy lives, we sometimes forget to relax and enjoy the good things life has to offer. Music can remind us to ‘Walk on Sunshine’ when stress has taken over, or do something silly like the ‘hokey pokey.’

Music isn’t always feel-good; it also relays political, social, and generally necessary messages to listeners. It serves as a source of information, educating the masses through chord progressions and beats. I love listening to music, but I am not a history buff and I don’t have time to read every text book out there. However, listening to bands such as Rage Against the Machine and System of a Down, I realized at a young age that music isn’t solely for the purpose of entertainment, it is a source of knowledge. With lyrics referring to both present and past problems, music makes history interesting, and even thought provoking and inspiring.

Having dealt with family, school, or social issues in the past, there have been times when nothing is more soothing than listening to music, which is also a reason why I believe in its power. The lyrical content of some songs are relatable, as if the artist wrote it specifically to describe my life; it’s almost a source of companionship.

Whether music helps you get through the day, reminds you of times long gone, or sends a strong message, it affects each of us even if we aren’t consciously aware of it. That is why I believe in the power of music, it can mean anything to anyone.