Good Times

Brooke - Altoona, Iowa
Themes: death

We used to go hunting and fishing, we loved to go together. My feet would get tired and you would pick me up. We did a lot of things together and you taught me a lot. I knew the day would come when we would be torn apart. That day came all too quickly. When I got home from school, I remember my dad sitting my brothers and me down and telling us the news. It was the night before the funeral when I saw you lying there. You looked so different and very pale. I remember taking your hand and trying not to cry, because I knew we would meet again, but at the same time I kept wondering why God had taken my best friend.

Ever heard the expression that everything happens for a reason? That is what he always told me. That no matter how bad things got or how bad that I knew they could end up, I should never give up, because it all happens for a reason.

If everything happens for a reason, then why did God have to take him away from me, away from our family? You see my grandpa always looked out for other people; he put everyone before himself. He loved animals and life. He was an overall amazing man. So, why do people like that have to leave?

I used to think that God took him because they needed a good fisherman up in Heaven, but let’s be realistic. When my cousins and I got together, we would write letters, tie them to balloons, and send them up in hopes that he would read the letters that we wrote to him and that he would understand how upset I was. I thought to myself that maybe he would send us something back, but we were kids and we did not know any better.

After my grandfather’s death, I found myself not wanting to believe in that whole cliché that everything happens for a reason. Within the little circle of friends that I have, if they have problems, I am usually the one they come to. I find myself telling them that everything happens for a reason and if the reason was not clear at the very moment, that there is a lesson to be learned or something to be done and soon the reason will be seen.

I know it is silly to go from not believing in that saying at all, to being one thing that I always tell other people. I established that those words bring comfort to others and that if I do not believe them myself; it comforts other people and that as long as other people are happy that is all that matters.