Life List

Atieh - Wichita, Kansas

Life List

There is uniqueness in having close friends, but whether that uniqueness becomes a priority remains in question. Before high school my friends and I struggled trying to find a school to attend, however we had varying opinions by the time it got to enrollment. We narrowed it down to either Northeast Magnet or the IB program at East high school. All of us passed the entrance exam for IB, and ironically we all made it into Northeast as well. My friends finally made the decision to attend Northeast because of the quantity of Arabs attending the school, yet I chose East. I believe in prioritization. I questioned the effects of putting my education before my friends. I also questioned the effect that each school will have on my future. Don’t get me wrong though, Northeast is not a bad school, however the IB program has a much more challenging, rigorous, college worthy curriculum. If I attended East High I’d still be able to socialize with my friends, and at the same time I’ d be getting the most adequate education available for high school students.

Now the only thing I hear from my friends is that Northeast is boring and the block scheduling stinks. In fact one of my friends dreadfully regrets not attending East high whenever we talk about my AP calculus class compared to hers. Now that we have started the ACT/SAT testing process, my IB education has really shown through my test scores. They are aware of my test scores, and know exactly why they are so high. My friends realized that I am going to be amazingly prepared for college as a result of my prioritization. I know I made the right decision by enrolling in the IB program.

As I grow, more outside pressures tend to affect my life. Friends, family, and the opposite sex tend to intervene with my life and, from what I hear, my peers’ lives as well. It isn’t necessary to eliminate these factors in order to focus directly on education. I simply prioritize. I have grown up with a family that loves and cares for me. That with their support I am able to live and breathe and learn in a world that has grown to be amazing. My family takes first priority on my list for these reasons. Education takes second, because without it there would be no bright light at the end of the tunnel. I would never reach the success that I so desperately want to reach. The people that help me get through the bad days and cheer me up when I’m lonely, take third on my list of priorities. My friends mean so much to me, enough said. Finally, the guy that sits across the room in calculus takes the fourth spot o my list of priorities. It is psychologically impossible to ignore the opposite sex because fatal attraction is instilled in our minds. Not the most important priority, but certainly one that isn’t admissible.