Human Life is a Blessing—Be Happy!

Pradeep - New Delhi, India

Today (28th February, 2008)’s Indian newspapers carried two news items on similar subjects. The one from India was about the survival of a seven-month-old fetus which slipped from the womb of the mother into the toilet bowl of a moving train and crashed on rocks below between two railway tracks. The female baby was, however, found unhurt.

In another case, a Papua New Guinea woman gave birth prematurely as she struggled to free herself from a hangman’s noose after villagers thrashed her and her husband believing they were involved in sorcery.

There have been innumerable instances of miraculous surviving stories from all kinds of accidents and dangers. People have also survived hunger, famine, and diseases.

I firmly believe that God has not only made human body to survive all dangers but also for being happy in all circumstances. In fact, human body is a marvel and a rarity.

In billions of light years’ expansion, amidst billions of galaxies and stars, perhaps human beings are only intelligent life forms. In Indian mythology it is believed that human soul takes birth in all forms of living beings and it is only after 8,400,000 rebirths in these various forms that one takes birth in human form.

The calculations of Roger Penrose, a famous British mathematician, show that the probability of universe conducive to life occurring by chance is 1 in 1010123 (i.e. 1 in 10 raised to power of 10 raised to power of 123.) 10123 means 1 followed by 123 zeroes. (This is, by the way, more than the total number of atoms 1078 believed to exist in the whole universe.) But Penrose’s number requires 1 followed by 10123 zeroes (i.e. zillions and zillions and zillions…of zeroes!). In practical terms, a probability of 1 in 1050 means “zero probability”.

Let me tell you one of my favourite self-made stories—

This is the story of the poorest man on earth—McPoor. He is not only poor, he is extremely old and sick as well. He is so poor that he has nothing to eat; he is so old that he may die any day; he is terminally ill; he has no family. He hates his body. He hates his life. Suddenly, there is a hue and cry. Somebody has planted a bomb in the market. It is McPoor who jumps and runs for his life ahead of all!

Why this rarity of human birth and this firm survival instinct.

Because, I believe that God or the ultimate power behind the universe wanted human beings to enjoy life and be happy.

I, therefore, believe that it is our duty to be happy in whatever circumstances on earth we are. No circumstance is bad enough to wish for death and be unhappy.

It is rightly said:

“There is no duty we so much under-rate as the duty of being happy.”— R. L. Stevenson.