The Game of Life

Jake - Wichita, Kansas

I am I child of this generation and if there’s something I believe in, its games. I believe there is something useful in all types of games, both physical and mental. Some games teach us of life, like the board game, and others harness the inner passions of the human personality. Games are a very important learning tool, for both children and adults. Games balance our desire to learn, compete, and have fun. They bring structure and rules into the lives of children at a very young age. Kindergarten, if I remember correctly, was nine months of games and to this day I still play games everyday in my scholastic environment. My Spanish teacher, a very interesting man, has again taught me the power of games in the classroom. His class philosophy revolves around interacting in class and having fun. I believe if you enjoy yourself, you are far more likely to learn. Games also help coordinate the physical body. Fitness, for me, is a key to a happy life. It relieves stress and increases self-confidence. If not for playing YMCA sports as a child, I would not be the same person I am today. I enjoyed playing a different sport every weekend as a young child, but I believe for a person to gain maximum happiness out of a game, one must become extremely experienced at a single one. For me, this single game that rules and develops my life is soccer. I started playing soccer ten years ago and it has taught me many things. Soccer has shown me how commitment and skill pay off, and how teamwork surpasses the individual, something I believe to be truer than our culture promotes. Soccer at my school has created a large group of friends. The friendship is so great that I regularly meet players that have already graduated. It has bridged my culture with that of the rest of the world. Games have the ability to transgress language and culture because all that needs to be known is the rules. I’ve even been able to enjoy other cultures in my own city through soccer: the Bengali guys that live on my street. I try to live with a soccer mentality: impress when the ball is at my feet and then work for the team when someone else has it. Soccer is not the only game that has shaped me, but it is the most important and life changing. Without soccer, I would not see the importance of the many games we play. So this I believe: games are an essential learning and leisure activity because they promote all the necessary aspects of a healthy life. They force you to think, move, compete, and be respectful of those around you. And no one likes to play alone.