Something About Failure

Joe - orchard park, New York

I feel that, from what I’ve seen as a teenager, is that adults don’t give us enough credit sometimes. They feel like they have an obligation to guide us in someway in every aspect of life. I think this action is due to the fact that adults don’t want us to fail. I know that it is all good in intentions, but honestly life is full of failure.

Now, I know this statement could be taken the wrong way, but hear me out. I know failure can be taken in negative connotations, but I feel that there can be a good type of failure. The type where you learn something, or the type where you learn a lesson that will benefit you and stick with you for the rest of your life. Now ask an adult if they ever ended in failure and eventually learned from it, if they say no I’ll give them a lot of credit— and then wonder why their not being honest.

This thought came to me while I was in detention the other day. I understand just being there is an example of learning from failure because I will try to prevent myself from going back, but that’s not when I realized this. There was a female monitor there that took everyone’s attendance and her words started to make me think. She stated that “If you record the teacher’s name, who gave you this detention, wrong in pen, then you will receive another detention so write in pencil so I can correct your mistakes.” This might be a terrible example, but it shows sometimes in even minor circumstances, adults assume were going to fail or mess up. I think this thought makes them think that need to guide us in everyway they can sometimes. Honestly though, were kids were going to make mistakes, but most of the time we can succeed just like an adult can. In this situation I think were capable of writing a name down. Even if we might spell it wrong you don’t have to exploit that to hurt our confidence. Everyone’s confidence there was already low because the reason we were there was because were being punished. So just let us try and correct it if you need to— heaven forbid we make more work for you.

This situation is not the point though. The point is that we need to not always feel like we have someone watching over us. We need to know that we can succeed on are own and gain confidence from that, and even sometimes fail on are own. No matter how much you may hate my philosophy I’ll grantee that we’ll get back up again if we fail so don’t worry. Hey, we might even surprise you and succeed. So to conform to the NPR guidelines I have to state what I believe. Well, I believe that adult should learn to take the training wheel off and let us be independent in more aspects of life. We may end up failing on are own, but succeeding on your own really shows a person they can do anything— and in the instance of detention, I spelled my teachers name in PEN!