I believe in Filial Piety

Francis - kechi, Kansas

I believe in Filial Piety

By Francis P

Empty handed, unable to communicate and no family for thousands of miles, the only thing in their stomachs was a dream for a better future. For three years, my grandparents thought my dad was dead, for all they knew their oldest son died as his plane was shot down, it wasn’t until my father managed to send a letter home that my grandparents knew he was alive and in America. My mother traveled on a fishing boat for ten days, eight of which without food. Ten days on the ocean not knowing if she would ever see shore again. The fear of pirates and deadly sea storms were constantly on her mind, however, the thought of a better future overcame all and guided her to shore.

They worked and went to school during the day and during the evening they took English classes. The grades they received were just enough to earn their degree. I owe all that I have now to the strength and courage of my parents. I could never even imagine leaving everything behind to start a new life. Neither could my folks but they persevered, now all they ask is that I make them proud.

My parents always say that just verbally telling them that we love them or appreciate them is meaningless. My mom would say “you have to show and tell”, I always laughed when she said this, to me show and tell was just an activity from kindergarten. I finally started to understand what she meant by “you have to show and tell”, she wanted my siblings and I to prove to her we were capable of doing something important with our lives before she believed us, this way she was not setting herself up to be disappointed.

In order to prove my love and respect for my parents I must go to school and push myself so that I have the “beautiful future” my mom always reminds me to strive for. It took me a while until I realized that they were not asking for much. They put a roof over my head, food in my stomach and computer in front of my near sighted eyes, all they ask is that I show the same amount of determination it took them to be able to give me this opportunity.

My obligation is to fulfill my parents’ only wish. I am about half way through my boat ride, when I have earned my degree and become a radiologist then I will know I have reached the shore. However, reaching the shore is only the beginning of a new journey.

Word count: 436