Ultimate feelinfg

Wendel - Wichita, Kansas

Man needs his defining element. There is one thing in every person that takes them to a new level, that makes them feel as though they are on top of the world: a state of pure euphoria. I am what some people would consider to be an athletic person. I value the fact that I am physically fit. Because of this I enjoy activities in which I can use by body and stay active. A number of years ago a friend of mine introduced me to the game of Ultimate Frisbee. At the time I was playing basketball for my 6th season. I thought that the sport of Ultimate Frisbee was very childish and idiotic to say the least. But eventually my friend convinced me to play and I was instantly hooked. I found the game to be quite exciting and the community to be close knit . The defining moment of my career was when I made my first layout catch. A layout is when you make a diving catch towards the Frisbee, or just ‘disc’ as we ultimate players call it and I will never forget that moment. As I was running towards the disc I felt the positive energies of my teammates being pushed towards me and my own desire being mixed in. The disc became my very life. I wanted it not only for me but for my team, for the whole game. Making that catch at that moment became the most important thing to me and I felt a cosmic feeling of concentration. My few breaths going in and out felt like they raged on for eternity as I sprinted towards the goal.

It was outside of my reach. I couldn’t catch it the way I was then I couldn’t do it by going through the motions. I had to leap. I had to take a chance and leap. The wholeness moment urged me to try harder and to go to the limits of my ability. I am not a man easily motivated but in that moment I acted. I didn’t think I was and I leapt.

And then I was flying. For the briefest moment I was airborne and everything that was out of my reach was now possible and I could see clearly. I caught the disc and hit the ground, like a sack of bricks. Time seemed to go back to its regular tempo. I could smell the grass of the field and hear the elated screams of my teammates. This moment made me realize how much pleasure simple experiences like this are and what happens when you take a leap and attempt to fly. I have attempted many more layouts in my time playing Ultimate Frisbee, and I find the same truths to be evident. Even when I miss the catch the struggle and the willingness to go for the goal is a trait that is admired by people and can yield grand rewards.