Support Stem-Cell Research

Tiffany - Morganton, North Carolina
Themes: science

I believe in stem-cell research. Ultimately this is the cure to something that I have dealt with for 12 years. This is research that will not only cure juvenile diabetes but other diseases as well.

At five years old, being diagnosed with juvenile diabetes was a huge blow to my whole family. It was something that changed our lives forever, and though now I’m more accustomed to it, it wasn’t always this way. Crying every time I had to get my finger pricked to test my blood sugar or every time I had to take an insulin shot was difficult to handle for not only me but my parents as well. My older brother was even affected whenever my parents took all the sweet foods out of the house so I wouldn’t be tempted to eat it or feel bad whenever my brother was wolfing down cookies that I was forced not to touch.

However, this essay is not about the hardships that I have faced as a child or even now as a young adult. It’s about the government refusing to support such a huge form of research, stem-cell research. Under our current government, however, this research is limited due to the ridiculous and hypocritical moral standards that have been set. I believe nothing should be wasted and in some cases negative things can be turned positive. Due to these moral standards, already aborted fetuses that could be used for their stem-cells are being disposed of anyways. It seems to me that actions need to be thought over thoroughly and different decisions should be made. I respect everyone’s opinion but this is ignorant. You can’t tell me that it isn’t morally correct to put to use something that is being thrown away anyways. Many people have taken the stance that this is “manslaughter”. These people are not thinking of the millions of people that could be cured from life-threatening illnesses that kill people everyday. These stem-cells are being extracted from already aborted fetuses. This research could cure Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, spinal cord injury, stroke, burns, heart disease, and the one closest to me, diabetes. Keep in mind that these are only the diseases that we know of today.

I don’t agree with but understand most of the moral issues that our government is facing due to narrow-minded people, but I don’t agree with the way stem-cell research is being funded. The funding of the research is at an all-time low and in order for any type of research massive funding is needed. To all the scientists who have kept up their struggle in curing these diseases, I commend and thank-you for your effort. Please don’t quit and hopefully in the upcoming election a new political party will reign in the White House that allows this research and funds it openly. Stem- cell research will cure a vast number of diseases in the future and this I believe.