I believe in Carpe Diem

Tuan - Wichita, Kansas
Themes: carpe diem

Carpe Diem, Seize the day, I remember hearing this for the first time in elementary school, not yet fully aware of its meaning. Although, as time progressed it slowly made more sense to me, and while this phrase seems quite cliché at first, I’ve always aimed to live my life with this philosophy in mind. I aspired to make the most of my day, or my life for the matter, striving to achieve my dreams, fulfill desires, and reach goals.

I’m currently in my third year of high school, and from these three years of high school, I’ve been able to witness the increasing pressure put on students. As responsibilities increased, stress increased, this constant demand for quality as well as improvement put one goal in the minds of most students: success. Because of this that it seemed as if the people around me only had one thing in mind: the goal of accomplishment, and fulfillment of an expectation. This in turn cause them to lose focus of all other goals in life. They put most of their dreams and goals on hold, no longer “seizing their day”. Many forgot their aspirations, their ambitions which they had once wished to accomplish. Yet, I continued to remember; I tried my best to make the most of my day, living life to its fullest.

I made the most of everyday, squeezing out every last drop of excitement. If there ever was a chance to do something that I’d always wanted to do, I would take up the chance, not just passing them up for simple reasons. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’ve always kept responsibilities and academics in focus, but I would also keep in perspective the thought of making the most of everyday and just breathing life.

Although, I’ve also had moments where I was caught up in everything that I, as well, forgot to put everything into perspective. I believe in taking a step back from life, and just taking everything in at certain points in life, and living life. People should pick up that book that they’ve always wanted to finish, but never had the chance to. If they’ve always wanted to go skydiving, mountain climbing, scuba diving, they should do it. To me, making the most of life, is just as important as ones everyday responsibilities, I aspire to never let one minute of life go to waste.

To this day, I still follow this philosophy of seizing the day, making the most of life. I enjoy letting the little kid inside of me come out every once in a while, doing things that I’ve always wanted to do. I let go of my worries for just a moment and make the most of my day, of my life. After all, I, or anyone for the mater, only have one chance live this life, so carpe diem.