Parents are important!

Jordan - Orchard Park, New York

My parents have been a big influence in my life. No matter what decisions I have made in my life my parents have always supported me. If I decided to try a new sport, they backed me. If I wanted to take a harder class, they were all for it. When I did something wrong, I was punished and although I didn’t like it I was told it was for the best. Until recently I didn’t realize how true those words were. I believe that everything my parents have done for me has been for the best. I believe what they have done has built my character, trained me to have good morals, and to be a good person in general.

Every time I tried to take the easy way out of anything in my life my parents pushed me to keep going. They taught me that I should try my hardest at everything I do. Every time I struggled in any aspect of my life I remembered what they told me and pushed forward.

Not everyone has parents like mine, parents that care so much about my wellbeing that they are willing to take time out of there lives and keep me on the right track. I know that because of my parents life has been much easier. They make sure they know where I am, what I’m doing, and whom I’m with. Because of their vigilance I’m a good student, I actively participate within my school, and have led a life free of cigarettes and drugs.

When I was young everything they did seemed like an annoying precaution that had no meaning. I realize now what they did was made me a good person. I have often been told that my actions are uncharacteristically responsible beyond my years. When I hear this I wonder how many kids my age hear this from others. When I hear this I know my parents did something right.

In our modern lifestyle we often choose our role models. Some choose professional athletes or other television personalities. Early on in my life I choose my parents as role models. My parents represent everything that I want to be when I grow up. From the very beginning my father choose family over his work. My mother was also a very involved parent. She was always there for me, pushing me to keep trying. If it wasn’t for the success of their parenting I believe that I wouldn’t be the person I am today.