Overcoming Obstacles to Achieve Happiness

Jessica - Morganton, North Carolina

In the past year my life has drastically changed. I have changed homes, lost and made new friends, lost my car which I was paying for (not my option), experienced emotional and mental stress, and lost all respect for a loved one I deeply cared about. While these may be the negative events that have occurred in the past year, I can not let them bring my life to a halt. I have to overcome the roadblocks which have hindered me from many accomplishments in my life. Believing in myself and having faith have taught me that no matter what circumstances may ensue, I must achieve happiness through my decisions.

My parents divorced 13 years ago. If you are from a “broken” home you know what I mean when I say living day to day is a strenuous task, acknowledging the fact your parents are never going to reach happiness together. To be truly happy with yourself and life, even at 18 years old, you need guidance. You are yearning for the advice to make the best decisions that will enable you to succeed in life. I believe that as teens and young adults we should discover the happiness that lies within a situation, no matter how great or bitter it may seem.

I have conquered barriers to accept the fact that God has placed me in the circumstances I am in for a reason; to shed light on those who have gone before me and to prove to those yet to enter the world, no matter how bad life may seem, you make it into what you desire the most. You accept happiness if you long for it. You are independent and strong and no matter what others may tell you, you do matter! If you can look in a mirror and tell yourself these things, there is nothing in life to contain you from your goals and dreams. Not the fact that your parents are divorced and no one expects you to go far in life, or the fact that you can’t change who your parents are.

If you can accept your own life your own mistakes, failures, and accomplishments, then you are living life to the fullest. If you can say, “Yes, I am satisfied with the decisions I have made and the way my life is unfolding,” then you can express your faith in your actions and believe in yourself. No one should have to fight for happiness, but it is part of our everyday life. We all have to overcome obstacles along the way to better aid in our success. I truly believe that no matter how great the demand or how steep the mountain we must climb, happiness and self-acceptance are only as far away as we make them.