The Importance of Hard Work

Josh - Neenah, Wisconsin
Themes: work

Most successful people did not get where they are now by slacking off throughout their lives; they had to earn their accomplishments. Stephen King Once said, “Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.” The most important step to accomplishing goals in life is hard work. Success doesn’t come easy, and I have found this out throughout my personal experiences.

Several years ago I started running cross country. I was never fast, but I always thought that I had an aptitude for running. In the summer when my family and I went to Maine, I was determined to run every day in order to get faster. I ran every morning up the long strenuous hills. I told myself to run ten miles every day; some days I didn’t want to do it, but I knew I had to fight through the pain. Some days it was so hot that I didn’t feel like running, but I knew that if I continued practicing it would lead to positive results. Some days my legs felt like lead and I sometimes wanted to go less miles, but I told myself to keep going and run the full distance. It was very hard work, but I knew that it would make me faster and increase my endurance. By the first meet of my next year in cross country, I could already see the results of my hard work. I was able to run several minutes faster and to earn a spot on varsity: a place I would never have imagined. I also won “most improved runner” of the year on my team.

I have also witnessed how much hard work has paid off with other family members. My aunt was living in an abusive relationship with her husband. She knew that hard work would be needed to get herself out of this situation. She showed great fortitude and eventually got divorced and started living on her own. She had three part-time jobs and was putting herself through college. Even though these times were very rough for her, she knew that if she worked hard enough she would be able to become a lot more successful. She eventually earned her accounting degree and graduated magna cum laude. She now works for a successful business and is employed as their controller. She endured many struggles during these times, but eventually the work that she put in led to success.

Throughout my life, I have come to realize how important it is to try your hardest at everything you do. I have come to believe this though my own personal experiences, as well as those of my family. Success always comes with hard work. Vince Lombardi once said, “The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.”