A Choice is a Choice

Kaitlin - Aberdeen, Idaho

Have you ever done something, and then looked back and wished you hadn’t? I have, many, many times. For me, everything is a choice. What to eat, what to say, what to keep to myself, who to talk to, the list goes on and on. Even deciding not to choose is a choice. Most of my choices are split-second decisions that I’m not even aware I’m making, but they’re there.

A friend of mine once said, “You don’t have to wear a stupid bedsheet to be a superhero (although it may or may not add to your over all hero-ness)—just be yourself, be kind to others, and always smile!” See, some people choose to be heroes. Some choose to be different, like me. Not everyone can fit into the same mold as some people choose to believe. Some even believe they can take away another person’s choice. Me, I think that in every situation there is at least one choice. Whether we see it is another matter.

When I was about ten, I believe, I was a daredevil. I would do anything that looked fun or adventurous. One time, I was on the stage in my church’s gym, and I decided that I wanted to swing on the curtains. Well, it was fun, but eventually one of the chains on the curtain broke. I had no idea what to do, and I chose not to tell anyone. I still regret it to this day.

I have a really hard decision to make at the moment. I know there are changes I need to make in my life, but I keep procrastinating. I keep telling myself to do it, and yet I still put it off. Is this not also a choice? I know for a fact that it is, and I’m hoping to make the right decision soon. I know that I can make the choice, only time can tell whether it is good or bad.

In everything I do, there is a choice. I choose to get up at six thirty in the morning so that I can get to Jazz Band on time. I choose to keep a lot to myself, not in company, but in emotions, in spirit. And I regret it. But now, I have the chance to choose to change that. I have the power of choice.