It’s Ok To Be Different

Rishelle - Orchard Park, New York

In middle school I wanted so badly to fit in and be ‘popular’. I purchased clothes I didn’t much care for, or afford for that matter. I did my hair how everyone else was doing theirs and went to events that didn’t completely thrill me. Basically, I was trying to be someone I wasn’t. Then high school ran around, and it hit me, it’s completely not worth it. I took a look around and in the mirror I had found that I had become a carbon copy of the ‘idols’ I had so eagerly cherished. Needless to say, I didn’t very much like it. So, I turned around and fixed my being to what I felt in my heart. I stood out in a crowd of faceless people and even though they didn’t accept me, I was happy. I found people who did accept me though. I know, I’m probably not what my parents envisioned when they pictured their future daughter because my hair has seen colors from hot pink or purple to bleach blond and black. On top of the hair, my clothes don’t match all the time and my makeup leaves no room for dullness. I get the stares, the whispers, and the looks, and sometimes they hurt, but I like who I am and the fact of the matter is, I don’t much care what people think of me. I’m an individual all my own. I see one too many people who are doing everything in their power to fit in, and some of them do but they aren’t happy when they get there because it’s not what they expected. It’s just a sad state of affairs to see blank faces and the same plastic mold person. It’s just a message needing to be out there, that it’s ok to be different. It’s ok to be a crayon of a different color, or a different flavor of cake. It’s called being a person. Don’t take care to what others think. This, I do believe.