When did it become

Erin - Orchard Park, New York

As I am coming up on my 17th birthday, many fashion and designer magazines are getting thrown in my face by my acerbic grandmother. Just about a year ago, my sister and I got excited over the fact that the magazine composure said leggings were coming back in style. We thought that the thick tights were both convenient and cute. If we are ever short on time, we just grab a pair of leggings and throw a skirt or dress over the miracle bottoms.

Nation wide, many girls and young adults are wearing leggings with some type of pant structure over them to help them not expose their “butt.” From the hallways of a high school to a McDonald’s playhouse, you can notice that there are all different types of leggings, and that anyone of any physique will wear them. Over the weeks that leggings have been the top selling tights, the amount of material that has gone over the leggings has decreased.

The leggings are now lonely, and worn with only a T-shirt. Many female teenagers will tell you that the perfect cozy outfit would be leggings and a cute T-shirt, worn with a pair of matching Uggs. In my suburban high school, there is quite a lenient dress code. You could be starring at a young lady’s chest that is almost fully exposed, when another girl is sitting in the office for showing too much leg.

That deeply upset girl in the office was once me. One morning I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and was hustling to make it to school on time. Needing to dress quickly, I eyed a cute jumper and threw it on, over a long sleeve shirt, brown leggings, and fashionable brown boots (not Uggs.) I made the long walk up to school from the junior lot, which left me freezing and hurried to my locker to hang up my jacket. I then walked to the house office and signed in at the secretary’s desk. As I was writing down my excuse, the lady asked me loudly “Jessica, are those leggings or tights?” I let the name game slide, and told her they were new leggings. She and her co-worker both said they could see too much. This left me confused because I had leggings on. Immediately, I felt threatened and told them that I wouldn’t wear this outfit again. I meant it. I didn’t feel comfortable in an outfit like that, and obviously, I wasn’t pleasing to these grown ups.

Now, when I see girls with just leggings on, I feel as if they have no respect for themselves. I was absolutely appalled when I saw a member of a school sports team donning her short jersey, with only leggings, around school. Cheerleading squads wear skimpy skirts, with slits down the sides that go up to the waistband. I understand that at times this choice of outfit could be comfortable to a certain somebody, but it is not at all appropriate. Anyone can see your figure, and even more than that. It doesn’t give girls the respect we deserve.