Opposite Ends of the Spectrum

Tom - Orchard Park, New York

Last year the average income of a U.S. citizen was about $46,000. The average salary for an NFL player was $770,000. I hope I am not the only one who finds this difference disturbing. In Orchard Park, the average teacher, a person with their Masters Degree, makes $59,500. Six years of college are required for a Masters. Now look at Lebron James. He graduated high school and went straight into the NBA. He is currently making more than 13 million dollars a year and is not considered a high paid basketball player.

I find the difference between professional athletes and the general population ridiculous. Granted, they train hard and work constantly to keep in top physical shape, but to be making more than 20 times the amount of an average person is absurd. I have played football, lacrosse, and rugby on a high school level. I make no claims that it is easy. I only think the rewards of being a professional athlete are in no way reflective of the work.

Without these gigantic salaries being dished out to players, and let’s not forget coaches, much could be done to improve the game. Ticket prices could be lower, therefore allowing a larger audience into the games. Athletes would not have such easy access to steroids and other performance enhancing drugs, eliminating much of the cheating done by players wishing to get ahead.

Anyone who has watched an episode of MTV’s Cribs could attest that the money put into the almost small towns in which these athletes live could be used for something much better. I am not usually one to give large amounts of money to charity; most of the time I do not give any at all. But the blatant misuse of money pooled into celebrity mansions sickens me. When the one year salary of an athlete is more than the annual income of a third world nation, the line has been crossed many times over. Something needs to be done about the absurd amounts of money made by professional athletes. This, I believe.