The Importance of Mentoring

Anna - Valdese, North Carolina

When a green bean plant grows, it must be staked into the ground so that it does not lie on the ground and rot as the summer rains come. Staking the plant also allows it to grow much taller than it would by itself. In the same way a child must be guided so that he/she can face life’s trials with wisdom and reach the goals he or she sets for himself.

As children grow up physically, mentally, and emotionally, it is important that they have a mentor to invest in their lives and share wisdom and encouragement, as well as friendship. This investment shows the child that they are valued, which increases their self-esteem. Sharing values and opinions with a child helps him or her to make better choices in the future. Although many parents do not believe it, children listen to adults, and when it comes down to an important decision, they really do remember all the advice they have been told.

As I have grown up thus far, I have been mentored by many people. My parents, siblings, older friends, pastors, teachers, and many other people have personally invested in my life. These mentors in my life help me through the difficult times and help me rejoice in my successes.

The time when I most realized the effects of these guides in my life has occurred recently as I filled out college applications. I was able to write down an incredible amount of community service and leadership training from my Girl Scout troop as well as church youth group events. I was also able to write that I have been a good student and held myself to a high academic achievement level; I am a part of numerous clubs, and I even swim for the high school swim team. Had I not had constant encouragement from more experienced people, I know I would not have stuck with many of these activities or this high standard that will help me get into college and has instilled a work ethic in me that will prove valuable all throughout life.

Now that I have learned the value mentoring has had on my life, I am currently trying to mentor younger children in my youth group. I can already see the difference in their behavior from last year. They are more confident, they place more worth on themselves, and they also ask for advice before they take action in their own lives. In the future I hope that they, too, will realize the importance of passing on values to a younger generation through mentoring because I believe in the importance of mentoring children.