The Influence of Art on Success

Anna - Wichita, Kansas

One of my most vivid memories of elementary school was when I would have drawing competitions with the neighbor kids on my block. With our crayons in hand and a crisp white paper on the table, we would use our imaginations to draw anything that came to our minds: mermaids in a lagoon, dogs chasing cats or scribbles we considered abstract masterpieces. Looking back on those moments makes me realize how anyone and anything can be art if you put enough effort into it.

In my freshman year of high school I took an art history class a teacher, Mrs. Jones. From Mrs. Jone’s experiences visiting art museums she would tell us interesting stories giving incite into a piece or an art movement. One story focused on the reactions of the public viewing Les Mademoiselles, by Pablo Picasso. Mrs. Jones stood in front of the painting for about ten minutes listening to the comments of those around her. Some said, “My kid could make a painting as good as that,” or, “I don’t see why this is so good, it’s just a bunch of funny looking people.” This story tells me two things about art: how art can be anything and anyone can make art. Though the ladies comment may have been negative towards Picasso’s piece, she makes a good point, that anyone really can make art. Her child could make a piece of art as famous as Picasso’s and there is no way for anyone to underestimates her child’s abilities. On the contrary I know people who don’t believe abstract art such as Picasso’s Les Mademoiselles are legitimate art works, because they think it doesn’t require as much talent to make as paintings by Davinci or Rembrandt. This is where I believe skeptics of artistic talent are wrong. I think anyone can make art if they are creative. This brings me to one of my favorite quotes by the contemporary artist Tracey Emin, who similarly believes that anything is art if it takes creativity and dedication to make: She says, “I’m a terrible cook, but if I could cook, I would see that as art as well, it’s how much creative energy you put into something.”

I find that when I walk into an art gallery, I know I’m seeing things most people consider art. Another interesting thing I enjoy is walking down a street and looking at buildings, light posts, bricks and stones, park benches, mailboxes, gardens, garage doors. To me, all of these things are art. Referring to Emin’s quote, someone put creative energy into most things around us. Anywhere I go I can’t help noticing the textures, colors and designs of all things around me. I have an artistic instinct I can not ignore. The same thing applies to a child’s scribbles on a paper. Though some only see the scribbles, I see a work of art, incite to the creative mind a child holds.

Through growing up believing ideas similar to Emin’s, that anything can be art if creativity is put into it, I have become more unique and outgoing in life. Now, taught to try everything such as painting a picture, even if success may not happen, I know something else will come along I will accomplish successfully because I believe in the creative artistic mind as a successful means of accomplishment.