Life is too short so live all you can

Jessica - Hamburg, New York

Jessica M

Do I take chances, or play it safe? When ranking my priorities what comes first, work, school, activities, family, friends? I don’t know that I could say that I come first, that the things I want to do are at the top of my list. At first I did not see a problem with it, its just the way it is, study, go to college, get a good job, make money…you know its just expected of you. Alright, so what if something were to go wrong with my plan, I find out that I am going to die sooner than I thought. Would I be happy with what I did in my life time, or would I want to do more? I believe life is too short.

I am an average sixteen year old busy with the daily routine, so the furthest thing from my mind would be dying. I get up, go to school, go to practice, go to work, do my homework, and somehow try to manage a social life with the people I care about. It is almost like I feel invincible, not thinking that I could die tomorrow because well I am just “too young to die”. I arrive at school one morning and head to first period and I find out there is another school shooting somewhere in Indiana, that is the fourth school shooting in the last month, which gets me to thinking who can say that something like that can’t happen at my own school. I mean do you think the kids a Columbine High School thought they, or some of their friends and family members were going to die that day?

This past week I had to go to a wake for my great uncle who passed away at the age of 88, I wondered to myself… in his lifetime did he do all the things he wanted to do, see all the things he wanted to see, spending time with the people he wanted to be with, and doing the things that were important and really mattered to him?

I know that I don’t want to think that I could face such problems in my future, but I can’t change what is in my past once I am gone, so hopefully when my time comes I am happy with what I have done and accomplished in my lifetime. Life is too short to take for granted this I believe.