A Little Work Goes Along Way

Marc - Orchard Park, New York

A little work goes along way

As my family and I traveled in our car to one of our favorite restaurants, kind of sarcastically, I said to my parents, “Oh, were going to the car dealership, lets stop so I can pick out a car for my birthday present.” I knew it was a losing battle and probably never going to happen, so, I stopped asking after that. I figured it was worth a try. My Dad let out a short laugh and said,

“Marc, not in this life time? That’s not going to happen in this life time, if you want your own car, you better start saving.”

In today’s media filled society, many teens, including me, sometimes think we deserver things in life for no reason and should just have everything given to us. Even if this is what people can think, I respect my parents’ decision for making me pay for myself because in the past, I’ve had to save my own money for things I wanted. For instance, I saved a large amount of money for a guitar I wanted. It should last me my whole life if I take care of it. By spending my own money on it seems as though I take even more care and have more pride for my guitar. The first time I had heard the sound of it I had fallen in love and I knew it was the one. When I had gotten it I had to show it to everyone and couldn’t stop playing it. This also shows me what happens when I work for something and finally seeing results. It also shows me what I can accomplish when I put my mind to something. This guitar taught me to take good care of things I buy myself because repairing it will come out of my pocket, instead of my parents. My dad still has his guitar from when he was my age that he had bought with his own money.

My friends, my brother, and I went camping a while back. Now someone might think what does camping have to do with purchasing a vehicle, but this showed me that that anything I wanted I had to work for it myself. Being there with no adults we found out real quick what had to be done to survive this outing. For example, if no one new how to put up the tent or didn’t put it up before dark, it could have caused some problems for us. Also, if we didn’t collect enough wood for the night or couldn’t get the fire stared we wouldn’t not be able to eat and cook our food. When we gathered around the fire in the morning when the due was still on the grass and savored the freshly made sausages, eggs, and steaming hot coffee. We felt a sense of pride in our self and felt good that what we work for finally paid off.

I know everyone wants a lucky break once in a while and we’re all guilty of wanting it, but what I found out is that life can’t be handed to you. And even if work is sometimes hard or the reward is far away, it teaches life long skills and makes us more responsible and appreciative in the materials we have. So if I ever what to get a car of my own, I better find a job soon, because that cherry red, low rider remote control impala that I got once, isn’t going to get me to work everyday.