Gelato is better than Ice Cream

Ashley - Woodbine, Maryland

Gelato is better than Ice Cream

I believe that gelato is better than ice cream. I live in a small college town where the dating scene is alive and well. I would say it’s a place that’s got a lot of pride but not too much culture to brag about. It’s also a place that boasts an ice cream shop on nearly every corner to accommodate the lively dating life.

One Wednesday night, I got an unwanted phone call. I knew that David was calling to ask me on another date. I had my answer ready: I had plans both Friday and Saturday nights. I always hated this part–the I have to be mean to someone nice–part. So when he asked what I was doing Thursday night, I had no response ready. “Sure,” I said, “Thursday will be fine.”

So Thursday night came. I figured that this date would lead to the local creamery, so when David told me that we would be going to the new gelato place on Center Street, my spirits lifted. That shop had caught my eye many times and I had longed to go inside. It reminded me so much of home where gelato is not so hard to find. To me it represented a little bit of culture sitting right in the middle of the Wild West.

When we were deciding on a flavor, I tried every one–grapefruit, hazelnut, pistachio, mint, chocolate raspberry and peach. They were all so exotic! The intensity of each flavor was a rich painting- each unique and with a completely different color scheme. The hazelnut transported me directly to a gelato shop near my home where you can sit on the green iron bench over the cobblestone ground watching Christmas shoppers hurry from store to store.

As I savored every mouthful, my date said to me, “you know, I think I like ice cream better than gelato.” I threw down my spoon and I looked at him in shock. How could that be possible? Each flavor of ice cream is the same, they should all be labeled, “High fructose corn-syrup.” And then you can add more of that disgusting sugar with their candy bar toppings. It is all sickly sweet, in your face, high speed, super-sized, instantly gratifying but only instantly. It leaves you with a stomach ache and nothing to gain from it.

How different this is from the deep, rich, and savory- made with fresh ingredients gelato that was in front of me. Gelato is a higher art form from ice cream- it is the sophisticated version. I am an advocate for this dessert wherever I go, and I discourage many ice cream- eaters to never settle for something less than the best.

I explained all of this to my date who politely disagreed. He hasn’t called since, but that’s just fine with me. I can find the gelato place on my own now and appreciate its many pleasures without interruption.