Frances - Connelly Springs, North Carolina
Themes: addiction

Alcohol, drugs, sex, and gambling are all serious addictions. Mine, however, is a bit different. I am addicted to text messaging. I’m sure I’m not the only seventeen year old who thinks she can’t live without her cell phone, but mine seems to be permanently attached to my hand. I don’t go anywhere without my text messaging device.

The thrill of the vibration or beep and the great anticipation of sliding open my phone to see who has just texted me is what I live for. Knowing that someone needs me or has given up one of their texts that month just to say “What’s up?” brings a kind of warmth inside my heart. This lets me know that I’m important. As for me, I have unlimited texts; this means my thoughts, ideas, words, jokes and information are all unlimited and free. These fringe benefits make texting so enjoyable. I believe texting to be addictive.

So I bet you’re wondering, do I text in church, in the shower, or at school? Well, as far as church goes, I respect God, and that’s His time. It’s impossible to text in the shower. I would need a new phone every week. The bath tub is easier, even though that foreboding fear remains that I may one day drop my “drug” in the water. I’m very careful. School for me is just an eight hour opportunity to fulfill my texting needs. In class I may not know what the teacher is talking about, but I do in other classrooms, not only at my school but others as well.

I remember the first time my cell phone actually got taken away from me by one of the teachers at my school. I had never felt so cheated and downhearted in my entire life. It just wasn’t fair! I was definitely not the only student texting in class that day, but I was the one who got caught. Yes, maybe the teacher did call me down several times in the past for having my addiction out in class, but I couldn’t help it. The administration at my school didn’t understand. Without my cell phone I was lost and useless. I didn’t get my cell phone back until later that afternoon when my mom had to go retrieve it from the office. She was almost as upset as I was, but for different reasons of course. From that moment on I knew that my cell phone would be controlling my actions and feelings for quite some time. This meant I would have to do whatever it took to fulfill my addiction. I was willing to take any risk, even if that meant breaking a school rule every minute of my day.

I do know that one day I could have serious health problems such as arthritis in my fingers and thumbs or maybe even go blind from staring at the tiny screen on my phone all day. It is too late, though. I have been diagnosed with a texting disease. Without a doubt this disease will spread to others making them addicted too. This I believe.