Just Walk Away

Elizabeth - Orchard Park, New York

When it comes to girl fighting in high school it is nasty and usually worse than when boys fight. I don’t necessarily mean fist fights; I am referring to the name calling and the hurtful attitudes. I believe in times like this it is better to just walk away.

As a cheerleader, the hatred between teams is bad enough, throw in some personal drama and there will be problems. After many mean fights through text messages the day of competition was one to dread. Once there were no adults around the screaming started. Instead of just walking away, I rudely yelled right back. Afterward I felt a mix of emotions. I was upset but mostly embarrassed. I was in uniform, we all were, and we should not have acted like that. In the end I disappointed my family, my team, but mostly myself. I was so ashamed.

For the next two weeks I was receiving threatening prank phone calls and was absolutely terrified to go to their school to cheer in a basketball game. Eventually the day came. The entire bus ride there I was silent and just sat there thinking about how to handle the situation. By the time I arrived there I decided to just smile and hold my head up high. I was not going to pay any attention to them or let them get to me. If they happened to say anything to me I was just going to walk away.

As I walked into the door I could hear snickering and could feel the dirty looks but I just kept smiling. Through out the JV game I received looks and heard comments that other people were saying to me. As the varsity cheerleaders walked in I knew there were going to be problems.

They looked at me ready to fight by my head never looked down and I never let them get to me. I came there to cheerlead and that was exactly what I was going to do. At the end of the game it was time to shake the other team’s hands. Most of the cheerleaders refused to shake my hand, they just skipped over me but I at least made an effort to shake theirs. When walking to the bus they started saying things to my face. When I finally got on the bus I was so proud of myself. I felt good and I learned a lesson that day. I, with my head held high, walked away. In circumstances like this the best thing to do is just walk away, and this I definitely believe.