The Need for Technology

Amanda - Orchard Park, New York
Themes: science

The world currently, in the twenty first century is very much dependent on technology. What if in the near future, for some unknown reason, technology failed? America would be in chaos, people would not know how to cope. This current, or my generation could not manage a world without technology, this I believe.

I am not saying technology is a bad thing, because it clearly has helped in many aspects of the world today. Technology has made life easier to a great extent. It has also helped to cure many diseases and also environmental problems. All I am saying that in contrast to the last many decades the world is very much reliant on technology.

I was born in August 1991; currently in 2008 I am sixteen years old and attend Orchard Park High School. I believe that this dependency of people, mostly teenagers, was caused by the way of upbringing. When growing up, we had video games, computers, and many other useful technologies available to us, which most of the time we take for granted.

My father always claims that I am addicted to my cell phone. I use at some times a maximum of seven thousand text messages a month. Texting has become a way of communication mainly used by teenagers. My father is amazed by how fast teens can text and how often we feel the need to be checking our phone, or playing with it in general. I believe that because our generation was growing up in a time where we all had video games and game-boys, we are more attached to technology, cell phones, computers, etc…

This generation has never seen a day without computers, television, or telephones. We have never known a world without this greatly developed society. The way of life has changed drastically in the last 50 years due to the advancements in technology.

I remember not too long ago my brother and I asked my dad to join us in playing the video game “Guitar Hero” and he replied by saying “ I never grew up with playstation, my fingers can’t move that fast. I would much rather go watch a football game or something!” Just last weekend I went to a neighborhood party, where my 7 year old neighbor could beat any of the “Guitar Hero” songs on Expert. Which for those of you who do not know the game is the hardest level and it is ridiculous.

Imagine a day without computers, or without a washing machine, or cars. Many people in the world today would not know what to do. They have never had to do the simple things without these advanced tools.

This upcoming generation could not cope daily without our advanced technology, This I believe.