Alex - East Aurora, New York

I just watched an older movie “The Truman Show”, starring Jim Carrey. It was a great movie but it made me think I was being filmed 24/7.I immediately thought I was being set up daily. Everyone was an actor, and my “family” was sent to live with me as a punishment. The main characters of my life were big time actors in the outside world.

I’m not going to say I fully stopped believing this either, but my paranoid thoughts were soon semi-dissolved by obvious signs that I don’t live in a large bubble dome. Sometimes I think about it, and for one I don’t think the United States would fit inside, and my mother, my sister, and I have driven across it 5 times. Secondly, I don’t think there would be evil in the world they set up for me. Jim Carrey’s world was a Utopia; mine is filled with greed, hate, racism, prejudice, violence, war, and terrible weather. So, I moved partly away from these thoughts, and to discourage more I dubbed myself conceited to think a show that millions (maybe billions) watched and enjoyed daily, revolved around me.

I guess I just hoped others would see my life filled with achievements, let downs, friendships, and love. So what if I was being watched? Why should that stop me from living life to the fullest and having fun? This makes me feel like one of those so-called crazy people who constantly insist that Big Brother is watching. Maybe he is. It makes me question, “Can you get any closer to seeing people’s homes than what we see on Google Earth?” The Government surely has the power to follow people, and find out anything about anyone. I’m not completely paranoid about this, but I still have thoughts and questions in the back of my mind. I do believe that the Government has a lot of power, we all know that. Whether you think they are watching or not, is up to you.

I don’t think I’d mind too much if I was being filmed, as long as I could keep the people I have in my life. I try not making living with me a punishment for my mom and sister. I guess this is why I like animals over people, they can’t lie to me, and they don’t follow scripts. When I horseback ride, I know that my horse is listening to me and feeling for my every movement. He doesn’t listen to some guy in his ear…I hope.