The Importance of Actions

Natalie - Orchard Park, New York

Ever since I’ve been a little girl my father has always told me, “Actions speak louder than words.” I was a pretty bad toddler, always getting myself into trouble, which most times resulted in a timeout. To reduce the time of my punishment I’d apologize to my parents and say that I wouldn’t do it again. Often times my attempts to get out of timeout ended with a long lecture about how my words really didn’t mean much until I proved them with my actions.

I feel as though society talks so much about how they are going to improve and better themselves, but how can you believe this when they aren’t doing what they say? For example, people who are lazy are always saying how they are going to improve their lives by working harder, but after weeks go by and they still haven’t tried to find a job, you’d begin to wonder if they were ever telling the truth in the first place. Another example is a person claiming to be environmentally friendly who refuses to recycle. People declaring to want a better ecosystem who don’t recycle are hypocrites. They shouldn’t be advocates for a better ecosystem if they’re dumping recyclables into land dumps.

When somebody tells you that they love you, but they don’t show you signs of affection, or care about you and your feelings, are you truly going to believe them? Many people today claim to love one another but many don’t accurately understand the meaning of love. How can you state your love for someone if you’re not willing to show that person care and attention? Eventually they’ll stop believing you, because: “Actions really do speak louder than words.”

Whenever I’ve mentioned something that I was going to do my dad would tell me to stop dwelling on the subject and just do it. My entire family, including my grandparents aren’t big “talkers”; they mainly just show how they feel, or what they’re going to do by doing it. By, saying that you’ll complete a task and never follow it to completion really results in your cheating yourself and disappointing those who are depending on you. This I Believe.