Ashlea - Orchard Park, New York

Ashela E

Every afternoon when I get home from school my job is to study for the ever so important S.A.T. test coming up. No TV, no computer, and even no homework until at least an hour of preparation for this exam has gone underway. Each time I open my review book I learn a new way to go about answering questions or how get inside the mind of an E.T.S. or person who writes the exam. Very little stress is placed upon just knowing information to carry you through this exam.

If I am being tested on how well I can take a test, what does that have to do with my actual intelligence level? The S.A.T. is held in such high regards when it really isn’t even testing basic knowledge. After all isn’t the point of going to school and applying to college for betterment of your own knowledge and to test how much you really have learned over the years? I am currently half way through my Princeton Review book and the most important element to taking this exam is knowing which questions to answer or not answer and how to divide your time so you can get the highest score possible. The E.T.S.’s actually arranged questions in such a fashion that easy ones, being first, are meant to build a false sense of confidence because once the student gets comfortable with the test that’s when the “traps” come into play. Along with these strategically placed questions, students also know that since the easy ones are first, they tend to rush through to get to the hard questions that they will most likely answer incorrectly any ways, making careless mistakes on the easy ones the would normally get right resulting in a lower score. It seems to me that the E.T.S. people are in competition with one another as to who can find a way to make a student get the lowest possible score. Why is our ability to take a test getting us into a college or keeping us out of one, which could be future altering, when we have spent the last four years working hard to achieve the highest grades possible when they can not even be considered because of a poor mark on this S.A.T exam? Whether a person can take a test well or not should not be the determining factor for their future, the drive to work hard to increase ones intelligence or ones natural intelligence is much more important for success in everyday life.