Useless Information

Ken - Colden, New York

There’s a lot of stuff in this world that I don’t understand, and probably never will. I’m a junior in high school, and a pretty average student, but I definitely do know when I am being taught a lot of useless garbage that in 5 to 10 years I will never need. If I was training to be an architect or some job that requires a certain math skill, then I should be learning it to be relevant with that job. It shouldn’t be required for everyone to take all these high math classes if most people aren’t going to use it in their real lives. Most of the information that we learn in high school has nothing to do with most jobs in the world.

My mother and father both went to college and make decent money for our family. As a junior I bring home my math homework every day and my mom or dad never know what any of my homework means, or even ever learned the things I’m doing, and my mom is an accountant and has to deal with math every day. Also we are doing more advanced sciences than middle-aged people took in college. Why all this in high school for a basic diploma though? I do know that the older generations want to prepare us for the real world, but if I’m not going to remember most of this information once I get into the work place and become a functioning part in society why even learn it. It seems like somewhat of a waste.

In my mind high school should be getting a basic knowledge on what you are going to do with your life, and give you options for your real working life. It also helps you figure out where you are going to fit into society. So many people come out of high school with this useless knowledge, and that’s mainly why college is so important now. I always hear “you’re going to be flipping burgers if you don’t go to college,” and its crazy how I know that I can do all these math problems and science problems but my fate is flipping burgers. I don’t know that seems a little crazy to me.

I try pretty hard to get decent grades so that I can go to college because it’s expected now a days. It can be hard a lot of times because I know the stuff that the teacher is saying no ones going to remember past the final exam. This kind of stuff makes me think a lot about it. I think that high school should, be more set on figuring out what people are going to do and how they are going to function in society; sending them to college with a mindset on what they want to do with there lives, so in college they study that and become a very functional part in society. This is believe.