Do What You Want

Mitch Graham - Blasdell, New York

Don’t ever let someone tell you that you can’t do something or be someone one day. Be who you want to be and do what you want to do. Every decision of every minute of every day effects what you will become. Follow your dreams for only you know where you are going and what you can do.

While watching the movie, the PURSUIT of HAPPYNESS, Chris Gardner (Will Smith) is playing basketball with his son and he tells his son that he wont be very good because he is not good at basketball himself. He then says to his son, “I don’t want you out here wasting your time with this.” His son then gets mad and kicks the ball away. Will Smith then says, “Don’t ever let somebody tell you that you cannot do something, including me.”

Right after this quote was said, in my mind, I scanned my whole life. I have realized that I am successful at everything I do. I am good at every sport I have played, playing guitar and making every one of my friends my friend.

While flashing back through moments of my life, and realizing my success, I also realized one more thing. I realized that I never let anybody tell me that I couldn’t do something. I did what I wanted and ended up where I am now, a successful 16-year-old.