Live Every Day Like It’s Your Last

Sara - Hamburg, New York
Themes: carpe diem

“Live every day like it’s your last.”

I believe that everyday should be lived like it’s your last. I know it’s cliché, but tomorrow is never guaranteed. You have one life to live, and it’s short, so make the most of it. Live every day of your life to its fullest.

My cousin Kim was twenty-eight years old and had just gotten married when she was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago. Our whole family was devastated. She had to go through chemotherapy and two reconstruction surgeries. The chemo was making her sick; she was struggling to keep food down. She became malnourished, weak, and pale. Kim’s aunt came to visit her one day, trying to motivate her so she wasn’t so low.

Kim’s aunt encouraged her to stay connected to her faith and pray everyday for help, guidance, and strength. Kim took this advice and eventually, she became less and less sick. She became herself again, but even better than before. She gained a carefree spirit, and despite her battle with breast cancer, she is a much happier person now. She has gained a new, positive outlook on life and I admire and look up to her so much for that.

Kim’s transformation inspired me and it made me think, “Why can’t I live with that attitude?” She has taught me to appreciate each day and to live the life I want to live. I don’t want to realize how precious my time is just because something bad happened to me. I don’t want to regret what I didn’t do when it’s too late. That’s why it is so important to live each and every day like it’s your last. This, I believe.