Fairness

Ashley - Morganton, North Carolina

Everyone individually holds different values, but one value everyone similarly defends is fairness. Most people would agree that life is not fair. You do not always get what you deserve, and hard work at times gets carelessly overlooked. Certain people work and dedicate their lives to succeeding while others inherit possessions and portray success due to their heritage. History exemplifies this practice of legacy through monarchy, but history at times has also been proven to be unsuccessful and unfair. Should genetics declare someone as better or as more qualified than dedication and hard work?

When applying for a job, one typically gets chosen by the degree in which she can contribute to the business. To determine the best candidate, a person is evaluated by her dedication, hard work, experience, and potential. You have the power to mold yourself into who you desire to be, so this seems like a fair and wise way to determine who should be chosen. I, for one, was not chosen. The decision made against me was not due to lack of dedication, hard work, or experience but due to who I was not related to. I volunteered for a hospital for three years, and when I was old enough I decided to apply for a summer job. When I applied, I was the only one who had actually volunteered for a sufficient amount of time and was also the only one whose parents were not important employees such as doctors. The relation to someone showed to be a more laudable quality than dedication. To voice my concern I wrote a letter to the hospital director over the department of employees. I stood up for what I felt was mistreatment as well as made it apparent that his decision was made under biased circumstances. In my letter I asked, “Can you prove that being a son or daughter of an employee justifies as a fair attribute toward the evaluation of a job?” In his reply he completely failed to answer the question posed in my letter and replied, “I wish you luck in your future endeavors.” He obviously had lack of concerned with the way I had been mistreated just as he is with dedication when it comes to hiring employees. I felt as if my dedication meant nothing and the one factor I had no control over, who my parents are, justified that I was not sufficiently qualified enough for the job. This decision quickly taught me that fairness is not promised even if there exists proof of poor judgment. I am capable of recovering from unfair decisions, but it will take a long time for a business such as a hospital to recover from poor judgment in employees. Unfortunately, acting unfair is common in the competitive society we live in. Such as in politics, business, and schools, being related to the right people assures preference and greater opportunities.

In any circumstance fairness should be valued. No matter where fairness takes place, it sets equal opportunities for everyone with no prerequisite of specific relatives. In my case, a hospital, where fairness is crucial to practice, I believe each employee should be chosen with great judgment, yet sometimes judgment over looks hard work and prefers a last name.