Our Last Step

jeffrey - orchard park/ny/14127, New York

Jeffrey T

“This I Believe” Essay

Mr. Bindig

Our Last Step

The date is December 21, 2012 A.D. This date as projected by one of the Mayan Calendars seems to me to be one of the most stunning scientific discoveries ever. Some say it’s just a legend or maybe another fluke prediction like those of Nostradamus. Still, some of those who believe that to be true, also believe that the Ancient Mayan calendar that abruptly ends on this date is just to specific to be false.

As I watched the History Channel I listened to the narrator describe a calendar that was much more accurate than our present day calendar. Time, to the Ancient Mayans wasn’t just a clock on the wall. It was established by in depth insight of mathematics and astronomical events. The Mayans created three different calendars. One was 18 months with each month having 20 days. Another was a calendar based on the lunar phases of the moon from the new moon to the full moon. Their final calendar consisted of 1,872,000 days. The end of this calendar cycle ends on December 21, 2012. This calendar consisted of twenty year cycles in which each had a description of what this time period would be like based on the predictions of the religious leader of the Mayan empire. The last of the twenty year cycles called bak’tun’ was predicted to be the time of the great extinction of man when the world would be dark and a greater being would come down from the skies.

This description may not be exactly what would happen, but it seems now in 2008 that we are killing our planet each and every day with our new inventions and new weapons. With an increase in murder rates in the world, an increase in the chances of a nuclear war with the expansion of nuclear arsenals and an increase in the temperature of the seas; who knows what could happen.

Our planet was not made for many of the ecological hits it is taking. Humans are trying to control nature by genetically engineering vaccines to fight deadly disease. Over a period of time there could be an evolution of superbugs that will not be able to be destroyed. Mankind is using their minds and resources to create new technology that might be used to destroy Earth and its people. Instead we should be creating new technology that would create safe and clean energy alternatives that would allow the Earth to repair itself from the CO2 emissions currently being produced. With the way humans act presently we could be on our way to extinction.

The growth of new technology and the increase in knowledge in modern times could be used to turn things around, but until I see consistent evidence that humans grasp the importance of an immediate turn around in the way we care for each other and the earth I firmly believe in the Ancient Mayans prediction of a December 21, 2012 doomsday.