Appreciate it all

Chelsey - Blasdell, New York

Appreciate it all

“Don’t take life for granted.” This quote can be used in almost every aspect

of your life, including mine. Most people just live their life day to day and then

when something bad happens, their whole life seems to turn a complete 180

degrees. In this day and age, it seems that people are always in a rush, and never

stop to think that their lives could change like “that”.

As a teenager, some may feel that their whole life can be summed up into

one sentence; school. Yes, this is a very important part of your life. School helps

you get a good education, which will help you get into a good college, and then you

can get the job of your dreams, but I feel that school is not the most important

thing in my life right now. I’m sure teachers every where have just cringed that a

student has just written that sentence in an essay. Don’t get me wrong, I do take

school seriously and I try my hardest, but some things just seem to be more

important in life. One of them is family.

Without family, most teenagers including myself would be lost. Some

teenagers may say that they only go to school because “their parents make them.”

That’s because they are looking out for you and want the best for you in life.

When I hear kids say at school that their parents won’t get them this thing or

that thing it makes me want to scream. Maybe they are not getting it for you so

that you can learn not to take things for granted in life; so you learn not to just

expect things. I believe they want you to try and work for it.

Sadly, sometimes everyone needs something to go bad in their life to make them appreciate what they have. Whether or not it’s something as simple as your

car not starting, or it’s something more serious as a death. A death in the family is

devastating and is a quick reality check that nobody lives forever. I know that

when you lose someone close to you, you feel as though your whole world has been

flipped upside down and you just want everything back to the way it was. I know

never to take anything for granted in life, especially family; and when I finally

come to the realization of how my life was going to be, the person I appreciated

most was gone. So for all those teenagers out there, take a step back and thank your family and all that they have done and will do for you in the future. “Don’t take life for granted.” It’s only a five letter sentence but to me, it means so much more. This is what I believe.