Dancing is dreaming with my feet.

Deanna - Orchard Park, New York

“Dancing is dreaming with my feet.”

Dancing for me is more than just a couple classes I go to every week. I believe dance is a hobby, a sport and can even be someone’s passion in life. I have been dancing since I was three years old, and for me it is something I always look forward. I have really loved all thirteen years of it.

Dancing has always been my passion ever since I was little, I would watch the older dancers and always wanted to be like them when I grew up. Many of them were my inspiration to try my hardest and always put in 100% in each class. Dancing is a way to express how you feel, through movement and song. It can show happiness, anger or joy. As my Mother always says “Dancing is dreaming with your feet.”

In many ways, I believe that dancing is a sport. Many dancers compete in competitions all over the world. They work very hard on their dances and bring them to competitions where they are judged to see who is the best. There are so many types of awards including technical, choreography, creativity and rhythm. Each group has the same goal as any other sports team, whether it is hockey, football, or basketball, they want to win. I know this from experience because I have been doing competitions for nine years, and I truly believe that it takes teamwork and motivation to do your best. Everyone is working together to achieve their goal, which is to be the best that they can be.

There are so many types of dancing that people are passionate about. For me it has always been Tap, Ballet, Jazz and Pointe. For others it could be Irish dancing or even a hip-hop class. Whatever the class they choose they are very passionate about it and strive to be better everyday.