Chris - West Seneca, New York

School has always been a challenge for me. Even Though I have made it to my junior year in high school and look forward to graduating in a year, my journey has been a long and difficult struggle. It is my belief that all people learn differently and should not be expected to pass a New York State Regents program to become a successful contributor to society. There is a strong argument for “Hands on” learning versus a traditional academic education.

The philosophy that all students should be prepared to enter a traditional post high school education has led to a loss of skilled laborers. The Board of Regents need to review there present policies and develop and promote programs that encourage hands on learning. This will allow students to succeed and immediately progress into the work force without the stress and frustration of the present policies. Providing for a vocational educational track will encourage students like myself to stay in school as opposed of dropping out because of the frustration of trying to succeed within the present mandates. There have been numerous occasions that I have wanted to give up, but with the encouragement of my parents I have persevered. Many students will ultimately require a fifth year in high school to complete the regents program which will ultimately leave them “left behind” from their fellow students.

Now that I have entered a vocational program, I appreciate the value of my “hands-on” education. It gives my life purpose and will have more of a direct impact on society. My future customers will want to have confidence in my ability to repair their vehicle, not wonder if I can state a proof in geometry, let alone write a well composed composition.