A better place

Joseph - West Seneca, New York

I’m 17 years old and I believe the world can be a better place. Growing up in southern Buffalo I saw a lot of fighting and heard attacks from my brothers views and other family members. I moved to West Seneca where I had a goal to find the good and people and make this world less violent and upsetting. Starting with my friends I experimented and finding the good in them and they changed by taking my words into consideration. I then realized I could maybe help the community so I joined the leader groups at the YMCA.

My experience at the YMCA helped many people. I soon became a co leader who didn’t get paid but helped the kids out. I changed many kids’ lives through my speeches and changed kids and they try to make changes. I connected with this kid named Collin who got beat and looked negatively and hurt many of the people at the YMCA. I decided to talk to him man to man and I told asked him what was wrong and he told me about it. I told him we need to stop the abuse not have it continue. He took my words and has basically turned over a new leaf. He has gained much respect from many kids. If we all just got rid of the weapons besides for war, limited war to a minimum, got rid of the addicting drugs that don’t help for the better, and just find the good inside every single person in the world we can make a difference.

Many speeches by other people have impacted through others and I am one who wants to make the world a better place. If people could pick up trash once in awhile, not say no it is there garbage not mine, and just grow up and think about the world. So much death isn’t because of old age. Many murders happen, many deaths in war, and illnesses due to poison or the War in Iraq currently. I also helped in my church and learned from my leader there and wanted to be involved. My pastor Steve was my inspiration. We heard a lesson from him that he only taught once and I took it in and helped out at the YMCA. I then grew apart from my church group.

When I was 16 I went to a Rally where the biggest impact happened. The goal was to connect with new people and I heard some rough stories and made a difference. This one girl was having a bad time and it was my first time being at a rally so I was new to. We had open period so I decided to talk to her. At first she was nervous as well as me. I was nervous around some people there but not her. I sat down and asked what was wrong. I heard about her family being the YMCA because she told me she came from a drinking family and they didn’t treat her nice. I said we just have to make a difference and try to help them. I left her with that advice then didn’t talk to her until months later. She then told me that she talked it with her family and most stopped. Her dad has the hardest time but he is improving. Every little action made can make this world better.

If everyone can just set aside differences and stop killing and stop child abuse and every terrible thing that happens in the world it can be a better place. Progress has slowly been made and I think it can get to a point where it won’t be as bad as before. I believe in a better place, do you?