A change of course has made all the difference

Rose - Westland, Michigan
Themes: change

Change has proven to hold good truth for me. Change can vary in many ways: new friends, a new school, a new house, or a new job. The changes in my atmosphere have lead to changes in my perception of how to care for myself and how to allow others to care for me.

The first major change was moving right out of high school; I had just turned eighteen. I moved in with my Uncles family: a cousin my age (also entering college), a younger cousin in middle school and my Aunt who ran the household.

The decision to live with them turned out to not be the greatest move I could’ve made. The situation didn’t last very long; I moved out two months into my six month semester of school. It seemed like the best thing to do.

For the remainder of my semester, I rented out a room from a great family of six. It was a relatively small house, but filled with ample amounts of love. The six months of my semester quickly came and I decided to stay with them another semester.

I became very close with the family; nevertheless, I started to miss my own family. The summer following my first year of college approached and at the last minute, I decided it was time again for another change. I moved back home and back into my mothers house.

It may not seem bad to live at home at the age of nineteen, but I had experienced life outside the nest. I didn’t stay home long before I was out of the house again.

Over the past three years, I have moved repeatedly as I desired a change, whether it was to a new school or a new city. I believe change is good. I’ve come to respect change. I keep in mind a poem by Robert Frost titled “Road Less Traveled.” The final three lines of the poem go as follows: Two roads diverged in a wood And I took the one less traveled by And that has made all the difference.

I have been through quite a bit of change, which may appear more obvious on the surface or maybe a change deep inside me. I have met great people along the way who have taught me new experiences and learning about myself. Moving to Texas is a big change. Moving out of state could have been a disastrous experience, but it turned out to be one of the most rewarding experiences of my life that has certainly given me an optimistic view of whatever may lay ahead.