The Crayone Box

Samantha - Jacksonville, Florida

I believe in the crayon box.

The different colors, all in one place, their place. The only two things in common are the shape and label. The colors are all different, yet they are all there for the same purpose; to color paper.

As humans we are like the crayon box. We all have the same purpose; to advance the world. We all enter a career, whether it’s because we need the money or because we love the work. Our differences as humans are that even though we are not that different in colors, we are all different in personality.

The crayon box has so many colors. They can range anywhere from the 8 crayon box to the 150 crayon box. Y3et even though there are so many different colors and so many more in one box than another, all the boxes serve the same purpose for who ever buys them. Humans at the most are only five different shades of colors, but there are so many more cultures.

I believe that you can make whatever you desire with the crayons in the box. So I ask myself, if I can do so much with these small items imagine what we could do with all of the diverse cultures in our world? If our world could come together instead of being separated by certain beliefs we would be so much better as a society.

With all that we are capable of in the 21st century most people are not caught up with the times. When I had my daughter her birth certificate was done incorrectly and the hospital marked her ethnicity as black when she is, like me, white. Two months later when I found out about the mistake, I had it changed. At her following appointment at three months we were told her Medicaid had been canceled. This left me feeling as if she had only been receiving these services because of what they thought was the color of her skin.

Just because her skin is not that color does not mean she doesn’t need or deserve the same services and care. She is now six months old and she still cannot see her doctor. I am angry because I do not understand why she is being treated this way. I am feeling pain for my daughter because she is so much more susceptible to sickness than if she had her shots. It is unfair that she cannot see her doctor because of the systems slip up.

While all of this is going on, I still believe in the crayon box. I still believe that we can all live together even though we are all different. Just because we are different colors or have different personalities we all together serve the same purpose. I believe that if everyone could see the world as the crayon box, we could be a great nation; even better a great world.