Jacob - Odessa, Florida

Denotation: To express certain emotions, especially mirth or delight, by a series of spontaneous, usually unarticulated sounds often accompanied by corresponding facial and body movements; connotation: The gateway to a good day. Laughing is what I’m talking about if you haven’t caught on yet. I laugh as often as I can, not always at the right times, but I still do. I believe in laughing and how awesome it is; some even say laughing has healing properties; like maybe for a bad day, or a simple mistake, or sometimes a common cold. I believe in laughter and how crazy awesome it is.

First of all, I believe that laughing is fun. It can sneak up on you and explode at the best or worst of times. Most occasions when you laugh are when a joke is told or a situation occurs where you can find humor in it, and I believe those are much more funny. Another one of my favorite times where laughing can be completely unexpected is really late at night and you’re at home or out with a friend and everything becomes funny. It’s even better when you don’t do anything and you still laugh; it’s definitely the best time to be awake.

Laughing tends to be the best medicine for your mood too. When I have a bad day, I like to come home, turn on the TV, and watch some stand-up. Laughing tends to brighten the rest of the day for me, and it probably should for everyone else. For example, after an argument with someone, laughing tends to be the cure, especially when I get to sit back and giggle at a fat guy with a microphone. Especially when the fat guy tells jokes.

Laughing is good for your insides too. It’s been proven to increase blood flow and lower blood pressure; not to mention toning your abs. Laughing has also been proven to stave off Alzheimer’s disease. So don’t forget to laugh, ha-ha ha-ha. Laughing lowers levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system, and fixes your common cold. Six-year-olds laugh an average of 300 times a day. Adults only laugh 15 to 100 times a day. That could be why kids have less stress and don’t get sick from all the nasty things they do.

Laughing is certainly one of my favorite things to do because it can make a bad day good, and a good day awesome. I’ve never heard anyone say laughing isn’t fun; unless they’re jerks that prove points or they have broken ribs; and even though laughing can’t cure cancer or a broken rib, it is proven to raise your immune system as well as your mood. So I truthfully recommend you laugh as much as you can, and to end on a lighter side, I’ll finish with a heart-warming quote from a man named Victor Borge, “Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.”